Sunday 19 February 2012

Who's got it right?

Debates on the philosophies of life are common among humanity. It is something we talk about, although we may not have a definite or concrete answer. How to live ones life is always a complex and multifaceted subject as there are so many ways we choose to embrace every day. Today I had a heavy breakfast discussion about how one should pursue life. I encountered two perceptions under one roof, sitting at one table.

From one point of view, we have people that say that you constantly should live your life by pursuing your hopes and dreams. That life is lived my setting goals, embarking on the journey to get there and savoring the moment before undertaking a new objective. The importance of putting yourself out there to reap the benefits of our aspirations and visions is the only path we can take in order to live a fulfilled life. Setting goals is crucial to our existence and our happiness. There is struggle, anxiety and stress that comes with pursing what you want, but it is worth it in the end when you get what you want.

From another point of view, it seems that you have to content yourself from what you have. Life is hard and you work with what you've got. There is no sense to always chase dreams and goals when you can enjoy what is already established. The sense of calm and serenity comes from not investing into something that might jepordize what is already there.

As I listen to both these point of views, I try to understand where I stand. At the age of 22, I find myself in a foreign country, working towards my goals, proactively seeking opportunities and writing down everything I am going to do and how I will get there. I am surrounded by so many distinctive individuals living the lives they have chosen to live and try to understand why they think and do a certain way. I know that personally I have always pursued what I have wanted because I know the importance of setting goals and taking an adventure to get there. On the other hand, I also sympathize with living with what you've got. While this may appear as a constraining thought that may lead to an existential crisis, I see myself as a young individual trying to find her place through an optimistic and determined point of view.

Now, I know I do not usually do this but what do you think readers? Where do you stand? What do you think is the right way to live life? I am interested in knowing because I want to understand and get closer to comprehending the complexity of this philosophy. Please feel free to comment as I will enjoy reading what you have to say. I look forward to your comments.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Jess!

    I’m one of your faithful followers and I generally don’t follow anybody!

    My answer to your question is the following: reflect on these three quotes and find your own answer:

    What seems like the right thing to do could also be the hardest thing you have ever done in your life.
    ~ Unknown


    Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.
    ~ Albert Einstein

    The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good.
    ~ Ann Landers

    I love youxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Jess, I think both mindsets have their place. It's knowing when to apply them is the trick. The pessimist could look at either one and give you a seemingly reasonable explanation to reject it. Those who always strive for betterment are selfish or unappreciative of what they have whereas those who stay complacent are cowards too afraid or lazy to make their life something worth reading about. I like to take the view that a sense of adventure and willingness to live life to the fullest is one of the few pleasures that we can find inside of ourselves and it's something I think we should take pride in. However also believe in accepting what you have. Not in the sense that you can never make anything better so why try, but more in the sense that certain things can't be changed so that's life and sometimes you need to suck it up. Maybe you are late and miss a taxi that you needed for work. No sense getting worked up about that, accept that and move on so that you can direct your energy what really matter. So I guess my long winded comment boils down to the idea that looking at your life as road upon which you advance is a virtue as long as you accept that you may hit some roadblocks.

    ReplyDelete