Tuesday 31 January 2012

Crossing borders

After a long week, I found myself in need of a break. So, on Saturday morning I packed my bag and headed to Gare Cornavin for the next train to Courmayeur, the Italian side of the Alps. Although Mapquest indicated the travel time would be around 45 minutes to cross borders, I found myself on a 3-hour train ride. You could say I saw the large portion of this small country. From Geneva to Lausanne, to Martigny, I finally got on the Mont-Blanc Express towards Chamonix in France. The spectacular view through the Alps was unbelievable. After a chaotic week, it felt as though I was escaping in a sublime winter wonderland. Once I arrived in Chamonix, my lovely godmother, Giuseppina, picked me up and we went to her chalet in Courmayeur where I spent less than 24 hours, but loved every second of it. It was a perfect weekend getaway. I wouldn't have traded it for the world. As I arrived late Sunday evening back to Geneva, I felt calm, relaxed and ready to take on another busy week. Crossing borders is an adventure I will always be ready to make if the final destination is great.

No comments:

Post a Comment