Tuesday 31 January 2012

“Anyon” (Hello in Korean) from my friend and IMGG colleague Julie!


The 22 year-old South Korean native found herself in Paris studying at La Sorbonne for the last semester when she was offered an opportunity to come to Geneva for an internship with the Institute for Media and Global Governance. Originally from Korea University in Seoul, Julie has a double-major in international relations and French. She is trilingual, speaking French, English and Korean. This vivacious individual proves herself everyday as she is hardworking, determined and passionate.

Her decision to come intern in Geneva is humble as she believes an organization like IMGG has the ability to use media to improve human rights. With her father always emphasizing the power of media, Julie was well motivated upon her arrival to Switzerland. She hopes to improve her skills and attention to detail in her work with this internship. Julie stated she knew everyone coming to work with IMGG would have their own set of values which she could learn from. She sought these professional and cordial friendships as culture exchanges.

She would eventually like to work with refugees and war-torn countries. When I asked her why she wanted to work in such a field she said:  “I can’t tell or imagine how war is, but I can imagine how it would be, and it would be terrible. That makes me want to help the people that have gone through that situation. I am happy and I want to be able to give that back.” As she has no desire to sit behind a desk all day, she hopes to go out onto the field and interact with refugees as well as change the current system that helps these war-torn countries.

So far, Julie says her biggest accomplishment was going to Morocco this past summer to teach local villages how to use computer software. For one month, she worked with a team of 4 people to lecture on how to use computers. She did not expect that students would appreciate it as much as she envisioned. Julie believed it was a very rewarding experience.

Passionate of cultures, languages, diversity and humanity, Julie is a very ambitious young lady that has such a bright future ahead. Her ability to work with her colleagues through a swift and professional manner will surely serve her well through all her endeavors. I know that even after Julie and I part, we will find ourselves working together as we see the world through the same lens, full of hope and potential.


1 comment:

  1. Hi, Jzeroual!

    I am Julie's father from South Korea. Thank you for your great journal.

    I reprinted your this posting onto my blog with great pleasure.

    Also I linked the posting to this your blog.

    This is the URL
    http://motif_1.blog.me/30130345730

    ReplyDelete