Tuesday 20 March 2012

Bump, Set, Spike in G-ville

Even when I'm old and grey, I won't be able to play it, but I'll still love the game.-Micheal Jordan

Lacing up my worn out Mizuno volleyball shoes, I anticipated a practice with new teammates, new gym and new ways to play the game I love. I arrived at the venue ready to play but worried I wouldn't be able to pass a ball to save my life. I picked up a ball and started warming up my arm when Caroline, a young French player, approached me to ask me who I was. We started chatting about where I was from, why I was here in Geneva and why I had chosen to practice with a team that was already in mid-season. A warm welcome came from the whole team and that was comforting after not knowing anyone in the gym.

Although I had a rough start, practice was fantastic. Everything I love about the game shined through these young ladies. Excitement, passion, determination, leadership, resilience and true love for the game are only some of the characteristics I saw in this team in such a short period of time. While they may not be the best players I have played with, they shined through this passion and energy for the game. After two hours of pick up, I found myself replenished with vigorous satisfaction. I realized, as I walked back home, how much volleyball had been much more than something I love to play, it was a remedy. Through stressful times or difficult periods, the game has always been there for me. I think it gave me much more in life than I could ever give to it. I am grateful to have found something I can loose myself in whether I am distressed or happy.

I will continue to practice and play with the various teams of the club. Hoping I can contribute my experience and knowledge about the game, I know I will continue to learn more about the sport I love. I believe that playing with players from all over Europe will surely demonstrate just how innovative this game really is. I find that quite exciting. As a former NCAA Division 1 player, I find myself at peace with no longer competing at such a high level. Although I miss the excitement and prestige this position entails, I find myself being humbled by these players as they are truly showing up every day because they love the game. Well, stay tuned for more volleyball news as I gear up to play with their number 1 team this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment