Wednesday 14 November 2012

Natalie Abel: Yes, She Is # 1


In light of the upcoming CAA Volleyball Championship, I wanted to take the opportunity to write about a specific player who has taught me more about the game than anyone or anything ever could. Each teammate I have ever had has taught me a valuable lesson and has inspired me either on or off the court. I bring a piece of each player with me along my life journey. For this specific player, she has demonstrated more perseverance, determination and passion than I have ever seen, but above all, she is the most resilient individual that I’ve ever had the pleasure to play with. I am talking about the one and only Natalie Abel.

My first memory of Natalie was the first pre-season practice in 2008. The team was in the gym in a circle waiting for practice to start when she walked in with Erin, our athletic trainer at the time and Greg, the head strength coach. Her bright smile illuminated the whole gym. So much good had walked into the room that you couldn’t help but smile back. The worst but best part of it all was that she smiled even with her knee injury that put her in a red shirt for the season. She never lost that smile from the moment she stepped into the gym even when times were tough, days were long and that light at the end of the tunnel looked further. Natalie persisted with the determination to be on the court for her team, for her passion and subconsciously to show those around her that it is possible to step back on the court and have an impact. And that she did.

The 3 seasons I had the pleasure to play with Natalie were incredible. They were filled with passion, hardship, fun, obstacles, blood, sweat and tears. I saw Natalie progress every season with more tenacity to stay on the court. This was not a selfish act, but a selfless one. She did not want to disappoint her teammates. Natalie always gave more than she could give whether she was on or off the court. Inspiring her teammates, coaches, staff, parents and fans, she never neglected to make everyone in the room feel special and part of her journey.

I will miss those games where Nat would turn to us on the court with fire in her eyes, the ridiculous memories we made on the bus trips to the games, the tears of joy and sadness we shared for the game, but above all I will miss her presence. If you know Natalie, you will instinctively have that feeling because she generates nothing but good energy and vibes. I know she will continue to impact people in her life as she has done to the team and me. Her journey to greatness has only just begun and will surely be everlasting. 

No comments:

Post a Comment