Sunday 29 September 2013

Back In Action: From The Sideline


 I remember my last university game like it was yesterday. It was the semi finals at the Championship Tournament for the Colonial Athletic Association. It was such an exciting opportunity for our team to build a foundation for years to come. As a team, we hadn’t made it to the championship round since my freshman year. Every year, only the top 4 teams made it into the tournament. During my senior year, we managed to make it into the tournament ranked second in the conference. Everything about that season was magical. We had new coaches and a new sense of purpose. Most of the returns, especially the upperclassmen, had a sense of conviction that year. I knew as a senior, I wanted to make it into the tournament while creating a new chapter in JMU Volleyball history. And that we did!

When the last ball fell in the championship tournament, I thought my days in the volleyball world were over. I was beyond satisfied with the season, and for the most part, all of the goals our team and I had set for myself had been met. To some degree, I had finished on top and I wanted to leave the game that way. Little did I know, it would not be the last time I would be in a competitive setting. Of course, I played recreationally on different occasions but I never thought I would participate in any competitive or structured volleyball team. Today, I find myself coaching at the collegiate level. I have returned to the game but this time as a coach.

It’s funny how life can change; you can grow as a person yet you still can love something as much as you did when you were in the midst of it. Volleyball was the one thing I was always very excited about. It was a venue for me to leave whatever was going in my actual life behind and play a game I loved. Now I find myself in another place during the game, the sideline. Although I miss being on the court, it is such a rewarding experience to give back to a sport that gave me so much and made me the person I am today. Over the years, I have acquired knowledge and skills about the game that I never knew would serve me well as a coach. Additionally, I was blessed with such great coaches over the years that helped me grow as an athlete but also an individual. I am very excited about the opportunity to coach and learn more about the game I love. The lessons I learned as a student-athlete were on and off the court. I am sure it will be the same as a coach. There is no doubt in my mind that this season will be tough with a team of rookies but I believe the best stories are the ones from the teams that practice and play with a lot of heart. I look forward to our team's story and the foundational growth we will make as a team. 

No comments:

Post a Comment