Wednesday 9 October 2013

Work Hard And, Don’t Forget To Play


I am currently in my midterm week in graduate school. During this time, my stress level takes new heights. From having an internship, work, coaching volleyball and being at school full time, I sometimes forget that decompressing is vital for recharging my batteries. I believe most people find themselves in this pattern. Constantly busy with our dense schedules, we can sometimes forget how fun and a little play can help us become more efficient and happier in our work. I have always believed in the following expression: work hard, play hard. Now, sometimes this saying can be taken to extremes. We tend to work hard all week and then find ourselves living our weekends to the extremes with social activities that make us tired, irritable and more likely to make poor decisions. I am not saying going out, having a little fun is going to ruin your life, but how you do it can. That’s why I believe in having a little play in every day. It builds up gradually, which makes you less likely to go from one extreme to the other.

I know what you are thinking. You don’t have time. You have a family, your have bills to pay, grades to make, responsibilities! Well, I am here to tell you that if that is your excuse, you are never going to be able to enjoy life and all your hard work. And I have come to know that most people who don’t take step one never take step two. That is why; I am asking you to try it out, even if it’s only for a few days to a week. Every day, for 30 minutes to an hour do something you love. Whether it is going for a walk with a friend, exercising, writing, painting or even just meditating, do something you love. You have to find the time. Time is a precious gem to us. And if your life is as equally important as your time, you should make time for a little play. You can even have different activities for each day. This adds variety and never makes that 30 minutes to an hour period boring or routinely.

Over the years, I have used this technique every day as a distressing activity so that every time I go back to my work, homework or responsibilities, I feel like I had a mini vacation and I am refueled. Your mind deserves to be exercised in every possible way, and that includes doing something you love outside of your daily routine. Personally, I exercise, every morning. And it heals, my mind, body, heart and soul. Whether it is going for a run or being in a gym, it allows me to benefit physically and mentally from my obligations. I hope you take a moment every day; so you can reap the benefits of the famous saying work hard, play hard.

No comments:

Post a Comment